Author Topic: Treatment Being Pulled [emoji22]  (Read 95 times)

Dancingbear

• View Profile
Treatment Being Pulled [emoji22]
« on: August 11, 2017, 07:51:50 PM »
Hi chaps,

Had a telephone appointment with my doctor today. Asked for permission to get blood work done, as I intend to make an appointment with doc Savage over the next few weeks.

My own doc gave me disappointing news, in that, he said they are being closely audited and monitored by the local health board and blood work, requested by a private GP, should really be subject to charges. He also said he feels that he has made a mistake by allowing my Nebido to be paid by the NHS as again, this has been prescribed by a private doc.

I felt somewhat deflated by the conversation however, I do understand where he is coming from. My polite reply was that there is surely a duty of care to me, as a patient, a tax payer, to make sure I am healthy regardless. My thoughts, post conversation were, if I was a drug addict they would have to foot the bill for living a drug ravaged lifestyle yet, a professional opinion and treatment plan creating ultimately a healthy person should incur the wrath of some auditor! What if I self medicated, didn't do bloods, created some long-term damage, the NHS would have to deal with the end result!

Feeling very discombobulated at the moment and not quite sure how to proceed. Anyone else had the carpet swiped from under their feet? I'm nearly 2 years into my TRT treatment and didn't expect this.

Best

The Bear.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Olly13

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Treatment Being Pulled [emoji22]
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 09:40:49 PM »
FOR.  FUCK.  SAKE.

What's actually wrong with this country?

I despair.. I really do, I feel so so sorry for you, as you know I'm in the same boat and oh. My. God. If they did that to me I'd lose my actual shit!

Like you say the smack addicts get help, all the fatties, all the bloody smokers (Sorry Nick), so why can't we get help  when where saving a ton of NHS money paying for a Dr to manage our own treatment, instead of an endocrinologist/dickhead to sit and waste NHS/tax payers money? The NHS isn't the mafia, so why can't an outsider be brought in, especially when it's in favour of all parties. 

Sorry to rant, but I'm fuming after reading this!

I would absolutely love to see/hear Dr Savages reaction to this, it'll make me look calm.

Again so sorry mate, if I think of anything other than talk to Dr Savage I'll let you know.

EDIT* I don't understand why some people actually train to become Dr's if all they are interested in making people's lives hard by acting like sadists, it's bonkers, if I was a Dr I'd want to do my job and help people to the fullest extent I can, I have family who work in the NHS and what do they do? There job, by helping people, and using everything they have at their disposal.

One idea is perhaps writing a letter to another Dr in the practice or to the management and make a stink, politely obviously, expressing the points you've written and how much money your saving them in time and endocrinology costs.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:16:10 PM by Olly13 »

nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Testosterone Deficiency Centre
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 05:11:33 AM »
Hi Bear,

When you first posted, the numbers you gave were enough to get you treated, even with the second result. The doctor, in short, was incorrect in denying you treatment.

The officiel guidelines endorsed by the Society of Endocrinologists came out in 2010 and states a trial of treatment may be givent to patients if they are between 8 and 12 nmol/l. Clearly that little nugget was never observed, probably along with the remainder of the guidelines.

Rather than beating a path to that doctor's door to have it out, tampting though it may be, I suggest it would be better to write a letter and enclose the guideines, which you can download and print.

I'd write the letter along the lines of:

Dear Doctor X,

Following the decision reached to charge me for my Testosterone therapy I enclose the guidelines issued by the British Society of Sexual Medicine, which are endorsed by the Society of Endocrinologists.

You will see reference to treatment levels and note no doubt that treatment may be considered on a trial basis for men with levels between 8nmol/ and 12 nmol/l.

My initial Testosterone result was 5.2 nmol and my subsequent result 8.4 nmol/l whwreupon I was told my level did not allow me to be treated.

I therefore consider it was not correct to deny me NHS treatment two years ago. I ought to have been referred to aan Endocrinologist.

As a consequence I was driven to obtain proper treatment for my condition privately at some considerable cost to myself then and subsequently.

I therefore put you on notice that should your decision to charge me for my medication be maintained, I will make a formal complaint.

Sincerely:

Dancingbear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 08:11:20 PM »
Thank you for the supportive comments, really appreciate it.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

BigV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 09:23:34 AM »
If it were me I would put in a complaint in writing asking them to explain and justify their decision.  Is this a medical decision (i.e. he feels that this is the wrong treatment, if so how is he coming to that conclusion), or is it purely a financial administration decision.

I find asking these people to put their reasons in writing often results in U-turns when they are making questionable decisions. 

Looking back at your previous posts it appears you had low-normal or rather borderline levels of testosterone with relatively high SHBG which would mean having low free T.  Doing a trial of TRT in those circumstances is not particularly radical, the guidelines make that clear.   Now clearly the treatment has benefited you, so I do not see why the NHS should not provide it.

This type of move to remove certain treatments is happening a lot (not just to TRT patients), because of the huge financial strain the NHS is under.  However their need to cut costs should not impact on your necessary medical care.