Author Topic: Antidepressant Survey  (Read 8460 times)

Olly13

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Antidepressant Survey
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 08:40:20 PM »
1. Age: 21 at time of going to Dr's now 22

2. Have you visited a NHS doctor complaining of several symptoms of low T?

yes I went explaining my symptoms, crippling fatigue, depression, anxiety, didn't mention sex drive much as it was only hindered a 'Bit' ie naturally I have a high sex drive but its was i'd say 'below normal' With low T for 21 y/o, got told its psychological and I should get counselling. not that which it was exactly wrong, but TRT would have been nice too ;)

3. If testosterone levels were tested please state Total T/Serum T, or Free T if known:
9.1 nmol/L, 9.5 nmol/L, 14.5 nmol/L <--- blip! ,10 nmol/L

4. Did investigations result in a testosterone deficiency diagnosis and prescribed Testosterone?

nope. I had to Contact Dr Savage, so ended up paying out of my own pocket, GP's eventually agreed to prescribe as long as I continue with Dr Savage acting as 'consultant'

a.Was your complaint of low testosterone rejected and diagnosed as depression/overweight/age or other?

yeah, I was accused as being Nuts, not entirely wrong as I do suffer from OCD, ASD and Orthorexia, but I have no doubt The low T caused/played a huge in the Depression and Anxiety, and certainly didn't help the rest, I've been more able to tackle the Orthorexia now on i'm on TRT for example.

b.Were you prescribed antidepressants as a treatment for your low testosterone complaint?

kinda, I had a mental Breakdown when I was 11 y/o and ended up on Prozac (I had a Very rough childhood, abuse ect) I was on that until I turned 15, then I was put on Sertraline for a while, then at 16y/o increased the dose a fair bit, that lead to feeling worse and worse, I used to have serious mood swing/aggression issues at the higher dose, I broke my knuckles by the looks from punching walls, my hands are a mess these days (raynauds) https://postimg.org/image/gz1ju3ug1/ <-- proof none of this Is bs.

I had some serious Sexual Dysfunction at higher does of Sertraline, ED on occasion and I couldn't 'Finish' at times if you know what I mean, (how I managed to become a Dad accidentally is just beyond me  :o))

I then came off Antidepressants for about 6-9 months as I'd had enough of all the Mood swing rubbish, I recognised that they were making me worse, so I put up being 'depressed'.

at 18 I went down hill quite badly and having just become a Dad I wanted to be as stable as possible so I was prescribed citalopram and that made me the worst of the lost, I genuinely 'wanted' to kill myself, obviously I did not attempt anything stupid, but still, I gave it 2 weeks and took myself off.

I started exploring CBT and options like that which helped a bit, but never solved it. I just delt with it as the best I could channelled a lot into working out over that time, which is how that started, gained nothing but didnt matter, and got a job etc. also being a Dad gave me some 'reason' to life which probably disguised it for a while longer, as any Dad on here can relate to no matter how not very good you feel you still somehow try your damned hardest to be the best parent you can.

So at 21y/o after Surviving without getting to the bottom of it, still feeling not 'normal', I went back to the Dr's explaining I Don't feel right, I'm tired all the time, I can't concentrate, I sleep 9 hours and wake tired, whats wrong with me? I explained to the Dr's as I mentioned before, did tests for everything standard and was all fine, then Did test for Testosterone at my suggestion after doing some reading, got told it was "low normal" and then yeah leads to where we are now. I got offered antidepressants again then as well, which oddly enough I refused.

turns out I was right, and Low T has probably plagued my teen years no end, causing all what it did, hence my depression being antidepressant resistant and made worse by it in fact.

I think Age was an Issue for getting Diagnosed to as being young with low T is less common. "you cant be your 21" kind of attitude.

sorry for the life story, I just wanted to explain the best I could, which kind of requires the detail and complicated back story unfortunately, i've got no shame in talking about this. I would rather People know that Antidepressants are not 'harmless' and share my experience if it helps someone else.

also I didn't want any of you lot thinking i'm bonkers or anything, hence why I never did this survey until now. I just don't like the picture of me it paints that's all.

a.Are you located in mainland UK?
b. If "no" to the above, which country do you reside?

yes. Unfortunately... ;)

7. Any other comments: think my essay Covers it mostly. Antidepressants did cause some depersonalization once or twice which wasn't fun, But I know Low T is linked to this as well. I think Antidepressants probably worked side by side with the low T for making me feel unstable as a teen, it would make sense. as they lower T anyway.

for all I know the Antidepressants Could be the cause. I doubt it but I'll never know.

I'm just glad to finally be getting somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:49:05 AM by Ashto70 »

CaptVTired

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2017, 03:29:46 PM »
1. Age: 46

2. Have you visited a NHS doctor complaining of several symptoms of low T? Yes

3. If testosterone levels were tested please state Total T/Serum T, or Free T if known:
Serum T:
10.73 nmol/L,  14.2 nmol/L, 11.7 nmol/L

4. Did investigations result in a testosterone deficiency diagnosis and prescribed Testosterone?
No.  Private pay to be seen at the Leger Clinic, Clomid trial started.

a.Was your complaint of low testosterone rejected and diagnosed as depression/overweight/age or other?
Diagnosed as depression
b.Were you prescribed antidepressants as a treatment for your low testosterone complaint?
Yes

a.Are you located in mainland UK? Yes

7. Any other comments:

Ashto70

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2017, 07:57:27 AM »
Thanks for the responses gents.

Craig
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:44:12 AM by Ashto70 »

aq42

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2017, 02:44:25 PM »
1. Age: 56 (at diagnosis)

2. Have you visited a NHS doctor complaining of several symptoms of low T? y

3. If testosterone levels were tested please state Total T/Serum T, or Free T if known: Two tests, 7.6 and 7.1

4. Did investigations result in a testosterone deficiency diagnosis and prescribed Testosterone? Yes though I made sure they did

a.Was your complaint of low testosterone rejected and diagnosed as depression/overweight/age or other? No but I received a very frosty response from a female locum when I asked for a test
b.Were you prescribed antidepressants as a treatment for your low testosterone complaint? No

7. Any other comments:

I had a pretty good idea of what was going on and did my research so that I could lean on GPs where needed

MarkyM3

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2017, 01:36:40 PM »

3. If testosterone levels were tested please state Total T/Serum T, or Free T if known: Varied but both always below range

4. Did investigations result in a testosterone deficiency diagnosis and prescribed Testosterone? Yes, GP referred to NHS Endo who prescribed Tostran gel

a.Was your complaint of low testosterone rejected and diagnosed as depression/overweight/age or other? No (thank god - the NHS process itself has been drawn out enough!)
b.Were you prescribed antidepressants as a treatment for your low testosterone complaint? No

a.Are you located in mainland UK? Yes (Surrey, UK)

7. Any other comments: Current protocol 3 pumps Tostran gel daily (intial was 50, reduced to 40, now to 30), AI (Anastrozole) prescribed by endo recently due to excess E2.

djlyes

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2017, 05:07:15 PM »
1. 40
2. Yes
3. Total T 6 nmol/L, 2.67 nmol/L, 4.67 nmol/L
4. Yes
5. No
6. Yes

Dancingbear

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2017, 08:00:20 PM »
This thread is targeted toward men who have been tested for low testosterone and exhibiting symptoms of low T. Please copy and paste the questions below into your reply, adding your answers at the side or below the questions.

Please answer "Yes" or "No" to the following questions or answer respectively:

1. Age:

7. Any other comments:

Many thanks!

Craig

3. If testosterone levels were tested please state Total T/Serum T, or Free T if known: June 2015 5.4nmol/L,

4. Did investigations result in a testosterone deficiency diagnosis and prescribed Testosterone? No, referred to Endocrinologist.

a.Was your complaint of low testosterone rejected and diagnosed as depression/overweight/age or other? Other. Retested 1 month later by endo, result 8.4nmol/L. Potential treatment pulled and told it was naturally low and didn't require treatment.
b.Were you prescribed antidepressants as a treatment for your low testosterone complaint? No.

7. Any other comments: Had to go private to get acknowledgement of my low T condition. On Nebido protocol from October 2015. Receive injection every 8 weeks. Fully believe I would have eventually been diagnosed as depressed if I had persisted with my GP/Endo.
Now had policy for Income Protection rejected from top UK insurance company as a result of TRT therapy.
While some of the American protocols for TRT are gung-ho at least they are making inroads to improving the quality of life for men.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 08:09:54 PM by Dancingbear »

ADM

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2017, 08:35:58 PM »
1. Age: 60

2. Have you visited a NHS doctor complaining of several symptoms of low T? yes

3. If testosterone levels were tested please state Total T/Serum T, or Free T if known: 8.0

4. Did investigations result in a testosterone deficiency diagnosis and prescribed Testosterone? yes

a.Was your complaint of low testosterone rejected and diagnosed as depression/overweight/age or other? no
b.Were you prescribed antidepressants as a treatment for your low testosterone complaint? no

a.Are you located in mainland UK? yes

7. Any other comments: 

Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2017, 09:02:49 AM »
1. Age:
21 when first complained of symptoms. 23 now.

Yes

3. If testosterone levels were tested please state Total T/Serum T, or Free T if known: Had 4 blood test results. Testosterone came back at 8.8, 11.3, 9,9 and a sporadic 18

No. Was fobbed off as overweight, need more excitement in my life, stuff to look forward to, be more active etc when I already do plenty and go to the gym/play sports.

Yes.
b.Were you prescribed antidepressants as a treatment for your low testosterone complaint? No, thankfully not.

Yes, Norfolk.

7. Any other comments:
Had to go private to get prescribed Clomid for my low testosterone. Albeit not that costly, it's still expense that I shouldn't have to pay for, neither all the messing around with the NHS appointments to just get fobbed off every time and waste a year and a half of my life trying to get treated.

Keenone

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2017, 09:53:35 PM »
1. Age: 68

2. Have you visited a NHS doctor complaining of several symptoms of low T? Yes.

3. If testosterone levels were tested please state Total T/Serum T, or Free T if known: <1

4. Did investigations result in a testosterone deficiency diagnosis and prescribed Testosterone? Yes

a.Was your complaint of low testosterone rejected and diagnosed as depression/overweight/age or other? No

7. Any other comments:

Sham

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2017, 07:50:35 AM »
1. Age:

35 (33 when first became symptomatic and sought help)

Yes (well technically "No", because it was only one symptom I was complaining about - lack of libido, but I did also comment that I had always had very little facial hair as well but it has never bothered me that much).

Tested by GP:

Total: 8.1 nmol/l
Free: 0.18 nmol/l

After improving diet and taking various supplements etc., slightly improved on those numbers (but tested privately so Endo never saw these results - it wouldn’t help my case):

Total: 11.8 nmol/l
Free: 0.294 nmol/l

Yes. Given a trial of Tostran, which I wasn't happy with and right now have been proposed Clomid on the NHS pending another blood test.

No, and I am not particularly overweight or old so no chance of using those as excuses.

No.

Yes.

7. Any other comments:

I did not complain of any depressive symptoms, only lack of libido, although they did ask me if I was under any stress or pressure. I am secondary hypogonadal by the way, caused by pituitary empty sella as diagnosed by MRI.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:08:00 PM by Sham »

Frank K

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
1. Age: 41

2. Have you visited a NHS doctor complaining of several symptoms of low T? I visited my GP having first contacted Dr Savage who made the diagnosis. GP agreed to treat me.

3. If testosterone levels were tested please state Total T/Serum T, or Free T if known: Range 7.6 - 31.4 - mine was 14.2. Free test range 0.3 - 1.00 - Mine was 0.195. This was clearly the issue. My SH G was 58 nmol/L.

4. Did investigations result in a testosterone deficiency diagnosis and prescribed Testosterone? I suspected I had low T. Arranged my own blood tests which produced the above readings. Then, after discovering this forum, contacted Dr Savage who diagnosed low t.

No, and no.
a.Are you located in mainland UK? North West - UK.

7. Any other comments:
  Very appreciative of the people who post on this forum. I'd have been lost without it!