Author Topic: Australian change in rules for public sector TRT  (Read 1190 times)

James G

• I want to break the indifference of the days...
  • I want a conscience that will keep me wide awake
    • View Profile
Australian change in rules for public sector TRT
« on: September 05, 2015, 08:55:42 AM »

While not directly relevant to the UK or Europe, but Australia is a first world country and the ripples may eventually reach us, but the Australasian endocrine society has decided that state subsidised testosterone scripts will only be allowed if a guys T level is less than 6nmol/L. Even if they started TRT with a T level of less than 8 they will be denied a script on PBS if they have T greater than 6. It seems these guys will have to be reassessed and retested. They can be prescribed TRT if greater than 6 but then only on a private script, ie significantly more expensive.
Just wondered if this was the start of the slippery slope in TRT prescribing.
Certainly the US is looking closer and closer at the appropriate use of TRT and there is the risk of over reaction there. That I think will impact on Europe at some point.

I have enclosed a link to a PDF about this.

https://www.andrologyaustralia.org/wp-content/uploads/PBS-testosterone-implementation-2015.pdf

Bw
James

aq42

• View Profile
Re: Australian change in rules for public sector TRT
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »
Hi

I had a look at the link. It needs a bit of decoding but basically is guidance for "low testosterone levels in middle aged
and older men who do not have testicular disease or pituitary failure" -- in other words late onset hypogonadism. It doesn't apply where there is a "defined testicular or pituitary disorder" -- primary or secondary hypogonadism.

However, the threshold of 6 rather than 8 does seem to be gaining some currency. I was diagnosed as primary on tests of 7.1 and 7.6 but in my 50s; however at the age of 40 I had a test at 10.5. I know that prior to diagnosis I was feeling pretty unwell. The fact that I have only had one further test in the year since I was first prescribed is another matter.

James G

• I want to break the indifference of the days...
  • I want a conscience that will keep me wide awake
    • View Profile
Re: Australian change in rules for public sector TRT
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 10:41:53 PM »
Hi aq
I hadn't really explored it in depth but was the principal and concept of a tighter rule system for TRT that troubled me.
There is increasing concern in the US about ad hoc / untested prescribing which I think happens very little here in UK - and then perhaps only in private prescribing.