Author Topic: Reference Range Map  (Read 6130 times)

Olly13

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Reference Range Map
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2017, 02:06:20 PM »
Perhaps not useful geographically but I've had my Testosterone level tested several times with Medichecks (they have used 2-3 different labs) - each time they have used the range: 7.6 - 31.4 nmol/L.

Various tests done via the NHS (Manchester) have used the range: 8.4 - 28.7 nmol/L.

You would like to think the NHS and labs would decide on a 'standard' range and ideally also take into account 'age'. A result of 9 nmol/L is technically in range and may not cause issues for some one aged 85 but is more likely to be an issue to someone aged 35.

And here lies the problem... 12nmol/L should really be the bottom of the range. It'll happen one day :)

barkingmad

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »
Exactly. When my level was 9 they were not interested in looking at Testosterone as an issue as it was 'in range' (despite having fairly typical symptoms). Had to drop well below before it was taken more seriously - although now they are good about it.

I think a lot of it is many GPs are not that aware of male hormone issues - but setting the 'normal' range to a more realistic 12 would probably help - although (with my cynic hat on) would also increase demand on the NHS.

Current treatments are not perfect - but I'm convinced it's made a substantial improvement to my quality of life and I don't want to guess the number of men who would also benefit from treatment as assume it would be very significant!

Olly13

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2017, 05:58:07 PM »
Exactly. When my level was 9 they were not interested in looking at Testosterone as an issue as it was 'in range' (despite having fairly typical symptoms). Had to drop well below before it was taken more seriously - although now they are good about it.

I think a lot of it is many GPs are not that aware of male hormone issues - but setting the 'normal' range to a more realistic 12 would probably help - although (with my cynic hat on) would also increase demand on the NHS.

Current treatments are not perfect - but I'm convinced it's made a substantial improvement to my quality of life and I don't want to guess the number of men who would also benefit from treatment as assume it would be very significant!

Your right there's probably a lot of guys out there who don't realise it's a thing, sadly, at least it's very slowly becoming more commonly known about.

I will say this about the ranges though, my levels were 9nmol/L too and my lab range was 11.7nmol/L and guess what? Still got told it was normal.. So half the battle is going to be getting Dr's to understand the issue at hand to be fair

barkingmad

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »
Agree. Perhaps many doctors rely more on the ranges rather than the symptoms. I'm sure there are many people being treated with anti-depressants, ED, fat loss and other drugs when the actual cause of their issue(s) may actually be low Testosterone levels.

Olly13

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2017, 09:58:42 PM »
Agree. Perhaps many doctors rely more on the ranges rather than the symptoms. I'm sure there are many people being treated with anti-depressants, ED, fat loss and other drugs when the actual cause of their issue(s) may actually be low Testosterone levels.

Yup spent my teen years on and off antidepressants... I'm a classic theme really. Haha